Saturday, March 27, 2010

Square Foot Garden Stage 2

We have steadily been working on our garden. Each time we go to town we buy a few bags of soil for our soil mix. Here is the progress beginning a couple of weeks ago. These are not the greatest pictures. I snapped them in a hurry and many of them with muddy hands not wanting to get the camera dirty :). Anyway....


Tom building the long back raised bed. This in the one I will put some vertical frames on the back of and then grow our vine type vegetables in it. it is 18x2 feet.

Back bed is in as well as two of the others......

Two more.... :) (the straw is what the workers spread out after they tore up the yard installing the town sewer. they will hopefully plant grass again soon.) The corner where Tom is standing had rhubarb there and also a couple of plants in other spots. We are going to transplant them all into one square foot box bed.

Ellie helping me to fill our little boxes with soil so we can plant seeds.

Planting seeds. We are doing some starts now and some in about a month so that we can stagger our harvests a bit and have lettuce and broccoli for a longer time.

Seeds planted. We actually now have 6 flats of starts :).

All seven boxes with the rhubarb transplanted.

We are going to put bark chips over all the ground cloth between the boxes so that we have a nice weed free area and hopefully not much mud :).

We mixed up some soil and put it in a couple of boxes. You can't really see it from these pictures, but it is there.

We also are edging our whole flower bed around our house with big river rocks. I weeded out this section and Tom put the rocks on with the nice edging mulch. On the left we have a hydrangea planted and also another one on the other side of the stone walkway. There is also columbine planted in the back of the bed and to the right is a plant I might transplant so I can plant our herbs here. I think this would be a great place right off the back kitchen door. We could just pop out and snip some herbs when we need them :).

That is the progress we have made so far. We are hoping to finish up the garden area next week and then focus in on the flower bed edging and weeding.......

2 comments:

Barb said...

Your efforts are really showing now. I can just imagine the nice produce you will have this summer. It is a good project for kids to help with too. thanks for taking the time to post these for me to see.

Mary Jean said...

This looks really nice. I've been thinking of doing something different for my garden since the area I have been using doesn't get as much sun as it used to. The raised beds are a good idea. I may try it, too.