Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Volga River

Yesterday we ventured out into the downtown area with our friend Andrew who was visiting from Vladimir. We ended up walking along the Volga river. There are only 3 bridges crossing the riverin Yaroslavl, two for cars and one for trains. The second car bridge just recently opened before that it was all the one bridge. I have heard that traffic can be really bad going over the bridge during rush hour. If you don't already know Yaroslavl is a city split down the middle by the river. It is actually quite beautiful to walk along the river walk. The sidewalks were pure ice so it was more sliding that walking, but the view was pretty. When I looked reallly closely there was a man and his dog onthe ice near the other shore. Our side was pretty much open waters till, but often we see ice fisherman walking alond with their square metal boxes and boring drills. So I imagine that they find enough frozen ice to fish from.
This is a little viewing area over the river (I don't know who the girl is). You can see the other part of the city across the river. It is a BIG river.


This is the main bridge in the center of town. We have ridden across it several times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The frozen river looks nice... I can get a touch of winter through the pictures:)