Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer Solstice

June 21, 2006 is the summer solstice. The sun is at its highest point either above or below the equator. In Alaska this day means "lots of sunshine." The sun rises at 4:21am and sets at 11:42pm in Anchorage, giving June 21st 19 hours and 21 minutes of daylight. All winter long when there is only a few hours of sunlight we think ahead to summer and this day. Tom claims that in winter we are sun starved and then in the summer we become sun poisoned. We either have alot or a little bit of light. It comes and goes pretty fast. One really awesome experience is to stay up all night and watch the sun roll around the edge of the horizon. It truly gives you a new perspective on time. So as I will be enjoying this long, sunny day I hope you will too.....no matter where you are in the world. Sorry for those of you on or near the equator. I will just have to experience it all for you.

No comments: