Against the Tide was an interesting historical fiction book to read. I have read a lot of books and some story lines seem to keep repeating in books. I was pleased to find Against the Tide had a very original, engaging story line.
The characters were well developed and I appreciated how
throughout the story the author shared more and more of the characters back
history as well as having real historical facts woven throughout. It is obvious
that the author was well studied in history and included it beautifully in the
story.
I was intrigued to
learn how opium and its use in soothing syrup was a large part of the story.
After visiting the Golden Triangle area of Thailand and its Opium museum I
learned a lot about the opium trade, its use, and its effects on people. I did
not realize the historical extent it was used in the US in ignorant ways. I
found this really eye-opening and sad.
In summary the book had a very original storyline, interesting
historical content, mystery and engaging characters.
This book was provided free of charge to me by Bethany House
Publishers for my honest opinion and review.


2 comments:
I'm beginning to enjoy reading your your book reviews.
Thai
The winter mountain river photo is fantastic.
THAI -
Post a Comment