Thursday, June 17, 2010

Strawberry Picking

This week we received a call from our Strawberry Farmer at Bolles Organic Berry farm. He said come tonight and you can pick all the strawberries you want. I was a bit skeptical because we had gone only 2 days earlier and the field was pretty picked over and had a lot of green berries. I should not have doubted because we arrived to a field teeming with ripe red strawberries. Ellie and Owen jumped right in and began picking.

Owen did not get far before he was seated and eating away. sweet little guy LOVES strawberries. 

He loeves them so much that we do have to limit his intake or I don't think he would ever stop :)

Oh...he might have picked a tad green one there.

Ellie was a wonderful berry picker. She filed her blue bucket many times and emptied it into a half flat box. I think she probably picked an entire half flat by herself in the short time we were there.

Off she goes.........

Jumping a row :)
(Mom, the taller shrubs to the left in this picture are raspberries. I think there is 10 rows of them. I hope we can pick some of them when they are ripe :)

After only about 45 minutes of picking we had 5 heaping half flats of strawberries. I figured that was enough for this time. These fresh organic berries spoil really fast so they need to be prepped pretty quick.

Off he goes....


I let Owen toddle around for awhile before he was put in the stroller to watch after consuming a lot of strawberries. Ellie kept sneaking him berries while he was sitting in the stroller. He knows how to turn on the charm.....

Beautiful red berries.....

Ellie picking....

At  the end Ellie just could not stop picking and she was carrying them in her arms as we walked out of the field.
An armful of berries.

Aren't these georgeous berries?

Washed and ready to be eaten.........

1 comment:

Barb said...

Yummmmmyyyy!!! Looks like a great picking time.